I think working on the people was my favorite part of this project! So Much FUN!!
I started with turned wood people in 3 sizes and began by sketching with pencil what I wanted each one to look like.
I painted them with regular acrylic paints doing layers of color (especially for the hair) and then put a coat of clear spray paint over the dry paint to protect it and give it a glossy finish. The family was really fun to paint and I am really glad I sketched them out before I painted them, I'd have been lost without those guidelines even though I changed some things. I don't have a very steady hand but I like the way they turned out, in the future if I make more I will simplify them a bit.
I used a piece of figured maple and some dowels to make furniture. the bedding is a piece of felted sweater and some squares woven on 2 sizes of those little vintage weaving looms.
I crocheted a little rug from scrap yarn. It's the coziest little house and the kids have so much fun with it, it's a hit for sure!
It all started with a seemingly innocent trip to the craft store. I spotted this little "bird" house and the wheels started turning. Before long I pictured it nestled deep in the "Big Woods" or standing alone on "the Prarie" a cute little house, waiting to be lived in by the brave and adventurous Ingalls family. My girls LOVE the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder, and I read them all when I was growing up. SO it seemed like the perfect project for a Christmas surprise. Here's how made the House and Family, up late at night working in the kitchen in the quiet.
There is a seam on the end wall equal with the top of the front wall where it is glued and has some brads running through. To break that I put a putty knife in gave it a light tap with a hammer and pried the pieces apart, then pulled the brads out with pliers. I used a hacksaw to cut the log out of the bottom of the door, then chipped away the remaining glue with the putty knife. No I'm not known for insisting that the tool be the "correct" one for the job, if it works and my use doesn't damage it then I figure we're fine.
The tall people were a tiny bit too tall for the doorway so I ended up having to go out to the garage and sand the bottoms of them with a belt sander, finally they would fit through the door.
Then came the fun part.
I mixed regular acrylic paint with water to make a stain and brushed it onto the cabin with a sponge brush, then wiped it off with a paper towel.
I ended up doing several layers to get the color depth that I wanted. I did the same with the roof and interior but used different colors for each. Painted the chimney a few times before I got what I wanted.
I like to sew and make things, I love vintage clothes and patterns and just about anything else vintage from the 20's through the 60's. I have experience in Costuming and designing clothes. I also do a fair amount of crafting.