Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Ingalls Family and Furniture


In my last post I showed you the Little House in the Big Woods, now I get to show you the Family that lives there.

I think working on the people was my favorite part of this project! So Much FUN!!


I started with turned wood people in 3 sizes and began by sketching with pencil what I wanted each one to look like.









I painted them with regular acrylic paints doing layers of color (especially for the hair) and then put a coat of clear spray paint over the dry paint to protect it and give it a glossy finish. The family was really fun to paint and I am really glad I sketched them out before I painted them, I'd have been lost without those guidelines even though I changed some things. I don't have a very steady hand but I like the way they turned out, in the future if I make more I will simplify them a bit.



I used a piece of figured maple and some dowels to make furniture. the bedding is a piece of felted sweater and some squares woven on 2 sizes of those little vintage weaving looms.



I crocheted a little rug from scrap yarn. It's the coziest little house and the kids have so much fun with it, it's a hit for sure!

9 comments:

Mick said...

fantstic job! they runed out great!

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

Aww - that's so cute!

Rosanne said...

Cute!

Maminka Girl - Loribeth Robare said...

thanks so much for visiting my blog..good luck. I am in love with your little house in the big woods and the little family. I actually have a log cabin kit doll house that I saved all these years to do with my kids (now in high school and out of college)! Good for you that you did it while your kids can enjoy. Have a good night.

artbeckons said...

cute! thanks for stopping by my blog today =)

Heckety said...

These are such fun- well done yourself! I used to love making miniature dolls things for the girls to play with when they were little. They still have the doll's house but I think all the furniture got broken over the years. Perhaps I'll refurnish it- you've got me thinking!

Robin said...

What a fun project, I loved the Little House books when I was growing up too. I can't wait for the day my daughter is ready for them.

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness this is SO cute! What a great idea - and lovely results! My daughter would love to play with these (as long as we kept them away from the dog.) :)

Hmmm...think I might need to go shopping again soon...

Lovely!

The Damsel In Dis Dress said...

adorable!